Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Own Eyes

One of the people in the Bible that appears for a brief moment and then disappears is Simeon. We are told in Luke's Gospel that he was promised by God that he would not die until he had seen the "Christ of the Lord". When he saw Jesus as He was to be presented in the Temple, he declared words that are prayed by millions of religious, priests, deacons and lay people every day in the official Night Prayer of the Church:
 "Lord, now let your servant go in peace;
your word has been fulfilled:
my own eyes have seen the salvation
which you prepared in the sight of every people,
a light to reveal you to the nations
and the glory of your people Israel"
As I was praying these words last night, knowing that they were part of today's Gospel, I pondered if I really meant them. Have my own eyes seen the salvation? How was God's words revealed in my life today? These are questions which, I believe, I need to keep in front of me as I go about my daily routine. How will God reveal Himself to me today? Will I be more aware of the fact that Jesus has saved me?
Going one step further, if I am called to be an "imitator of Christ", I must try and be that light which reveals God's presence to others. I must strive to fulfill God's word to others as they see in my words and actions the promised for salvation which is offered to all.
That is a lot to look for, a lot to strive for each day. But, when you think about it, God created us with the ability to see it with our own eyes if we try and see as He does.

No comments: