Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Do Not Let Your Hearts Be Troubled

These words from John 14 are easier said than done! I don't know about you, but I often have an awful lot that "troubles" my heart. Whether in personal relationships, work, family, or just looking at the news, so many things bring unrest. How can you not be troubled by divorce, unemployment, sickness of a loved one, natural disasters? How is it possible that Jesus could say these words to us?
I think that we need to take a look at what He said immediately before this phrase. Jesus tells His followers that He gives them "peace". But, He adds, "Not as the world gives do I give it to you." No, His peace is different. It is certainly not the absence of war, for we know that wars have raged throughout history. It definitely was not harmony in families, because infighting and jealousy seem to be part of almost every family. And surely He was not referring to the security and peace which a home, job and health seem to provide, as these are lacking for so many believers.
No, the only way we can understand how our hearts can not be troubled is to discern the peace which comes from knowing that, no matter how many trials and tribulations come our way, we do not have to face them alone. Jesus has assured us "Behold, I am with you always". This means that we never have to deal with life alone. And we never have to doubt that we can do what God asks, accomplish what God sets before us. He will ALWAYS give us the strength, if we but ask. The Lord never guarantees that our life will go according to our plan, but He does promise that "whatever you ask the Father in my name, He will give you."
I feel a lot better knowing that I am not facing these things alone. Having faith in Jesus just may help my heart be a little more calm and not so troubled after all.

No comments: