Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Actions Speak Louder Than Words

In today's Gospel (John 8:31-42), the Lord points out that sometimes people use words to identify themselves but those words do not correspond with reality. In this case, he was speaking to people who identified themselves as children of Abraham - children of God. But their actions betray them, since they do not accept Jesus and live the way they should. It is a good meditation for me and for everyone who calls themselves a follower of Christ. We are quick to identify ourselves as a Christian, Catholic, or with other words that imply we follow the example of Christ. But often our words betray us, since our actions show a very different identity. I know that I am guilty of this, and it challenges me. When I look at others who do or say things that bother me, or fail to live up to my expectations, I do not treat them as Jesus would but rather with impatience and annoyance. My face, I am told, reflects this and I am ashamed to say that it has hurt people. If I am to be authentic, I need to work on this, and try harder to continue to treat people with love, even when I am upset. It certainly is not something that comes easily to me, but as a true follower of Christ I have to respond as He would. I have to work on allowing the love I really feel in my heart for people to shine through, especially when they do not live up to my expectations. And in doing so, I will then be reflecting by my actions more clearly that which I give voice to with my words. Jesus loves us all immensely, and I need to be that presence of love for those whom the Lord sends into my life. Certainly a big challenge for me in these final days of Lent, and, I am sure, a work that will take a lifetime to perfect. But together, with the help of God and those He sends into my life, I am convinced that I can make improvements each day so that my actions will speak louder than my words.

No comments: